Thursday, March 4, 2010

Open Mouth

and stick foot in. That is what I should do. About a month ago I told some people that I would never go to the Los Angeles Public Library because its annoying ( and expensive) to park, the homeless/weird people that loiter freak me out, and a bunch of other reasons.

Today, at 11:30 a.m. I became a proud Los Angeles Public Library member. So lets go back a few hours. I just dropped my friend off at the airport and I stopped at Target to get a few things and while there I perused the book aisle looking for "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. My friend who was in town visiting was reading it and I was curious about it. Well Target didn't carry it but they had another one of his books that was approximately 4"x 6" and maybe 50-100 pages. I am a mega fast reader so this bitty book would have taken me all of 5 minutes ( ok fine. probably 30-45 minutes ) to read it thoroughly and priced at $9.90. I held it for a few seconds and then I realized I would much rather have my trip to Europe this fall then a $10 book. I imagined all the wonderful things I could enjoy with my $10 ( or converted probably 7 euros) in Europe. So I put the book down and resolved to get a library card. Ack. This is the part where I should shove the foot in my mouth. I said I would NEVER and look at me less than a month away and I am a brand new LAPL member. Needless to say, I'm a big fat liar. So please don't take my "I will never's" so serious they probably will last a month at the longest.

Anyways, while today at the library I had two things happen. First, a man tried to pick me up while I was browsing the books on tape. I at first thought he was asking to borrow my phone. He motioned with the phone and eyebrow thing at me and being in a relationship for over 8 years I kind of forget what getting picked up looks like. Second, I rented Fame, the new movie, and absolutely loved it. I watched the New Fame while reading my rented Self magazine.



I am a huge fan of the OG fame from the 80's and was really hoping they didn't buther this one too much by bringing it up to date with the current trends.



Luckily, they didnt (not in my opinion). I was in love with the dancers and the updated feel of the movie. I died over the carnivale scene. It was ahhmazing. I figured that today from getting my LAPL ( los angeles public library) card I saved myself around $20 dollars by renting the books not buying them. Also, its environmentally friendly, I pay for it in my taxes already, and I could potentially have a new boyfriend if I was ever looking. The bad part about the library ( besides the potential pickup) is I really wanted to take a shower after leaving. The place gives me the skeevies and the old man playing online poker at the computers didn't give me much hope for the clientele at the library, nor did the bearded lady researching family birthday parties ( what? I don't get this one either!)

Cheers-

Raechel

No comments: