Thursday, January 21, 2010

Its Raining Cats and Dogs..

I enjoy being a modified vegetarian most of the time but there are a few comfort foods that I absolutely miss as a vegetarian. One of those recipes is pot pie/stew. I think homeade chicken or beef pot pie rocks. Today with this being the 3rd or 4th day of rain I really was craving something hearty for lunch. After a quick google search I found what appears to be a pretty darn good pot pie recipe. This recipe is awesome but I modified it to what I had on hand. Sooo my version is below:

Raechel's Modified Pot Pie Goodness

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil or as much as you need so the veggies don't stick when sauteeing
  • 1/2-3/4 onion
  • 5-6 crimini mushrooms ( if they are bigger than a .50 piece)
  • 2 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 small rutabega chopped
  • 1/2 c. frozen peas
  • 2 cups vegetable broth or I used Not Chik'n vegetarian boullion to give it that chicken flavor
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 pie crust ( either homeade or store bought)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan. Cook all hard vegetables ( carrots, rutabega, potato, garlic) in oil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in frozen peas and Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, soy sauce, and 1/4 cup water until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Stir into vegetables, and cook until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
  4. Pour the filling into glass dish ( I used a bit of spray oil so it wouldn't stick). Arrange over the filling, and seal and flute the edges. Poke a few holes for steam.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the crust is brown and I put mine on a cookie sheet because it usually bubbles over.

This recipe is awesome. It was a bit liquidy when we ate it for lunch but the flavors were all there and sooo good. Now that its been out of the oven for an hour or so the sauce has thickened. So maybe it needs time to rest before cutting into it. If you're worried about the pot pie being runny you could make little individual pot pies in small bowls/ramekins.



Kind of a crappy pic of the pot pie and I'm not sure why my pillsbury crust split. I know that I cooked it a bit longer than normal but it seemed dry ( luckily lots of pot pie goodness to help keep the crust moist.

If anyone else has any suggestions for good comfort food on a rainy day I'd love to hear about it! My other favorite is macaroni and cheese. Speaking of...dinner is only a couple of hours away! I have a plan now

Cheers-

Raech




1 comment:

Jo said...

Your recipe sounds deeeelish!! Now I'm thinking about dinner....
And I, too, have a love for mac and cheese!
(btw, the place where I got the popcorn makes a to die for mac and cheese!)