Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Homemade Peanut Butter

This might be old news to you but it was new to me when I received my food processor for Christmas. I had visions of me making these elaborate pie crusts and processed food things but no, my food processor gets its mileage on shredding blocks of cheese and making peanut butter for me. Yes, I needed a $300 machine for those two uses apparently.

Oh well! My biggest fear is when I ask for some giant cooking contraption is that I won't use it. At least I use it even if the task is minimal.

Homemade Peanut Butter

1 bag of peanuts ( I like Trader Joe's Honey Roasted Peanuts - 1lb -$1.99)
Food Processor
Small Tupperware/sealing type of container

Place peanuts in food processor and turn on. Process until the peanuts are smooth and free of chunks ( If you like smooth pb, otherwise, I'd reserve maybe 1/4c-1/2c of the chunky mixture and add that to the smoothed pb by hand)

With a spatula, move the peanut butter from processor into your mouth..erm I mean tupperware container and place in dark, cool place ( food pantry). I've had mine in there for a couple of months and it doesn't mold/smell/etc...If you're feeling wierd about it place it in the fridge.

That's all it takes to make homemade peanut butter. It takes me about 5 minutes and it's free of wierd chemicals and a bit cheaper than the fresh ground peanut butter you buy at Whole Foods. I think that stuff is $5.99-7.99 a pound. Yowza!


Let me know if you have any other favorite uses for your food processor. I think once I get a hearty crop of my basil plant I'm going to make some homemade pesto sauce. Nom.
Cheers-

Raech

No comments: