Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer Corn Salad Recipe

A few weeks ago when I was in San Francisco, we stopped at an awesome pizza place in my girlfriends neighborhood; Delfina Pizza. To be honest, the pizza is good but their side entrees really stole the spotlight this past trip for me. We ordered sand dabs ( mini fish deep fried) and a summer corn salad. I've been thinking about making the corn salad ever since which I finally did this past weekend twice.



Summer Corn Salad
serves 2
1 large ear of corn - shave off the corn with either a knife or a cool corn tool
1-2 small kumato tomatoes (mine were fairly small maybe 2 inches across) - chopped
2 large handfuls of arugula - washed (or several websites call for basil
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon onion - finely chopped

-Shave the corn off the cob and place in a small mixing bowl.
-Finely chop the onion and add to the corn.
-Cut the tomatoes into smallish pieces (or if using cherry tomatoes I would halve or quarter if possible) and add to the corn/onion mixture
-Toss the corn/onion/tomatoes with a bit of good olive oil (I probably used 2 teaspoons)
-Season the corn/onion/tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste
-In the final step, make sure to mix the corn, tomato, and onion mixture well to blend the olive oil into the salad
Place the arugula on the plates and spoon the corn mixture over
*Another option would be to mix the arugula into the corn mixture if that is what you prefer I would add the arugula by sight. Using probably only 1 large handful vs the 2 handfuls.

There are tons of summer corn salad recipes online but a lot of them call for boiling the corn to remove the starch. I didn't and I loved the summery sweet taste of the raw corn. This recipe was sort of made up of what I liked from other people's recipes so feel free to modify! Let me know if you try something new and yummy!

No comments: